Picture this: You’re neck-deep in a heated League of Legends match, your team is gaining momentum, and suddenly, an enemy ambush catches you off-guard. Your teammates fall one by one, and the game spirals out of control. You’ve probably been there, done that. But what if I told you there’s a way to prevent these devastating surprises? It’s time to turn the tide with some strategic warding!
Also check out: Challenger in LoL season 13
- Master the art of warding to avoid enemy ambushes
- Learn the difference between different ward types and their optimal usage
- Discover essential warding locations on the map
- Unlock the power of vision control to secure objectives
- Practice efficient warding habits for sustained success
Types of Wards: Know Your Tools
First things first: let’s talk about the different types of wards you’ll be working with. In League of Legends, there are three primary wards:
- Stealth Ward (Green): The most common and versatile ward, providing vision for 150 seconds. You can place up to 3 at a time.
- Control Ward (Pink): These bad boys reveal and disable nearby enemy Stealth Wards, traps, and camouflage, and they last until destroyed. You can place only 1 at a time.
- Farsight Ward (Blue): Offers long-range vision in a larger radius but is visible to enemies. Best used for scouting objectives.
Warding Hotspots: Where to Shine the Light
Knowing which ward to use is only half the battle. Next up, let’s talk about where to place them. Here are the top warding locations you should prioritize:
- River bushes: These bushes are crucial for spotting enemy ganks and securing objectives like Dragon and Baron.
- Jungle entrances: Warding these chokepoints gives you early warning when enemies enter your jungle.
- Deep enemy jungle: Get valuable intel on the enemy jungler’s movements and rotations by placing wards deep in their territory.
- Objective pits: Keep an eye on Dragon and Baron pits with Control Wards to maintain vision control.
- Brushes near lanes: Place Stealth Wards in side lane bushes to spot roaming enemies and avoid unexpected ganks.
Warding Stats to Wow Your Friends 📈
Here are some interesting facts about warding that might just give you an edge:
- According to a study by Mobalytics, players who ward more have a 10% higher win rate compared to those who ward less.
- Top tier players (Master, Grandmaster, and Challenger) place an average of 1 ward every 2.5 minutes.
- Support players place an average of 50% more wards than other roles, but remember, vision control is a team effort!
Vision control isn’t just about placing wards; it’s also about denying the enemy team vision. Here are some tips to dominate the map with vision control:
- Clear enemy wards: Use Control Wards, Sweeping Lens, and Oracle Lens to find and destroy enemy wards, leaving them in the dark.
- Defend your wards: Place wards in areas where you can contest their destruction, forcing the enemy to choose between clearing your wards and engaging in a fight.
- Adapt your warding: Adjust your warding strategy based on the game state, focusing on areas where your team plans to make plays or objectives you want to secure.
- Communicate with your team: Share valuable vision information with your teammates and coordinate ward placement to maximize vision coverage.
Efficient Warding Habits: Sustain Your Success
Warding effectively takes practice, but incorporating these habits will help you get the most out of your wards:
- Ward consistently: Make a habit of warding regularly, aiming for 1 ward every 2-4 minutes depending on your role.
- Buy Control Wards: Always have a Control Ward in your inventory, and don’t hesitate to replace it if it gets destroyed or if you need to move it.
- Ward when it’s safe: Don’t face-check dangerous areas to place a ward; use abilities, allies, or safer warding spots to gain vision.
- Learn from the pros: Watch professional players and analyze their warding patterns to improve your own game.
Personal Experiences: Tony’s Insider Tips
As an experienced League of Legends player and journalist, I’ve picked up a few secret tips and tricks for warding:
- Ward over walls: Learn to ward over terrain to safely gain vision in high-risk areas without exposing yourself to danger.
- Ward during recalls: If you’re near an important warding spot when recalling, take a moment to place a ward before backing. It might just save your team from an ambush!
- Ward while pushing: If your team is pushing a lane, place wards in the enemy jungle to spot potential flanks and counter-attacks.
- Ward objectives early: Place a ward on major objectives a minute or two before they spawn, so you have vision control when the objective fight begins.
Challenge Your Assumptions: Uncommon Approaches
While the tips shared above are tried and true, don’t be afraid to experiment with unconventional warding strategies:
- Off-meta ward spots: Sometimes, placing a ward in an unexpected location can catch your opponents off-guard, providing valuable information they won’t anticipate.
- Warding baits: Use a visible ward, like a Farsight Ward, as bait to lure enemies into a trap or force them to reveal their position.
- Warding for split-pushers: If you have a split-pushing teammate, ward their flanks and escape routes to help them safely apply pressure and avoid ganks.
- Warding for aggressive plays: If your team has a strong pick or dive composition, place deep wards to spot isolated enemies and create opportunities for aggressive plays.
Conclusion: Illuminate Your Path to Victory
Mastering the art of warding is crucial to your success in League of Legends. By implementing these LoL warding tips, you’ll gain a significant advantage over your opponents and improve your overall game sense. Remember, vision control is a team effort, so share these tips with your teammates and watch your win rate soar!
FAQs: Your Warding Questions Answered
- Q: How many wards should I place as a non-support player?
A: Aim for 1 ward every 3-4 minutes, but adapt to the game state and your role. Top tier players place an average of 1 ward every 2.5 minutes.
- Q: How can I improve my warding skills?
A: Practice consistent warding, learn from professional players, and experiment with different warding strategies to adapt to various game situations.
- Q: When should I prioritize buying Control Wards?
A: Always have a Control Ward in your inventory and place it strategically for vision control. Replace it as needed to maintain vision or deny the enemy team vision.
- Q: How do I ward safely without getting caught by the enemy?
A: Use abilities or allies to check dangerous areas before warding, and learn to ward over walls to gain vision in high-risk spots without exposing yourself to danger.
- Q: How can I use vision control to help my team win fights and secure objectives?
A: Clear enemy wards, defend your own, adapt your warding based on game state, and communicate with your team to coordinate vision control and make informed decisions.
- Q: What are some unconventional warding strategies to try?
A: Experiment with off-meta ward spots, warding baits, warding for split-pushers, and aggressive play-oriented warding to catch your opponents off-guard.
Also check out: What is a shutdown in LoL?