Doctor Mundo is one of the few champions in the game that can be classified as tanks. His kit is heavily reliant on his ability to outheal enemy champions’ damage in every way possible, using both his R and his Passive. Roughly a year ago, Dr.Mundo was reworked in the hopes of making him more than a stat checker who outheals his opponents to win.
Unfortunately, his rework only made him jump in play rate for the first few patches when he was overtuned, after which he fell to lows akin to the ones before the rework.
Dr. Mundo is a tank, and all tanks in the game have AP as their primary damage source. They don’t indulge in AP items, rather than relying on base stats and tank items to do the AP damage for them.
This is what you should know about Dr.Mundo in League of Legends.
Dr.Mundo is a tank champion in LoL. His kit has a mix of max health and AD ratios but he cannot build AD except maybe an occasional titanic hydra buy. His high base stats give him the ability to build tank and still output decent damage
He also has a CC immunity passive and tons of healing built into his P and his R. Hence, Mundo’s gameplay revolves around the premise of healing and is true to the nature of being a tank.
Dr.Mundo is known to heal through all sorts of damage when he is allowed to be good, and his R allows him to take this to the next level when faced with a tough situation on hand.
You should also check out: LoL Community Spotlight
What Are Dr.Mundo’s Abilities?
P- Goes Where He Pleases
Dr. Mundo regenerates an additional ( 0.8% − 1.6% (based on level) of his maximum health every 5 seconds.)
Periodically, Dr. Mundo gains immunity to the immobilizing effects of the next hostile spell to affect him. Upon resisting one, Dr. Mundo pays a health cost equal to 7% of his current health and propels a canister that lands 525 units in the general direction of its source, remaining on the ground for 7 seconds.
Dr. Mundo can move near the canister to consume it, healing himself for 8% of his maximum health and reducing the cooldown of the immunity effect by 15 seconds. Enemy champions can move near it to destroy it.
Q- Infected Bonesaw
Dr. Mundo throws an infected bonesaw in the target direction that deals magic damage to the first enemy hit and slows them by 40% for 2 seconds.
Note that the bonesaw has a Current health cost and if Mundo hits an enemy, 50% of the health cost is refunded.
W- Heart Zapper
Dr. Mundo charges up a defibrillator for up to 4 seconds, dealing magic damage every 0.25 seconds to nearby enemies and storing a portion of the post-mitigation damage he takes as grey health on his health bar.
Dr. Mundo detonates the defibrillator, dealing magic damage to nearby enemies. If this hits at least one enemy, he heals for 50% of grey health, increased to 100% if at least one enemy champion or large monster is hit.
E- Blunt Force Trauma
Passively, Dr. Mundo gains bonus attack damage, plus an additional amount based on his missing health, reaching maximum value at 70% missing health.
Actively, Dr. Mundo empowers his next basic attack within 4 seconds to have an uncancellable windup, gain 50 bonus range, and deal bonus physical damage, increased by 0% − 60% (based on missing health). If the target dies or is a small monster, they are sent flying away in a line, though not through the terrain, causing all enemies they pass through to take 100% AD plus Blunt Force Trauma’s minimum bonus damage.
This is also an auto-attack reset for Mundo.
R- Maximum Dosage
Dr. Mundo injects himself with chemicals to become enhanced for 10 seconds, gaining increased base health, bonus attack damage, bonus movement speed, and regenerating health.
As you can see, Mundo is very reliant on his Q for his primary source of damage and to catch up with enemies. Unfortunately, his kit is designed in such a way that items like Divine Sunderer and Blade of The Ruined King cannot let him function in the game.
Is Full Tank Mundo Worth It?
Arguably in a meta that is dominated by Blade of The Ruined King and Divine Sunderer, Mundo’s full tank build isn’t particularly useful. However, in certain matchups, it can and does work. So don’t let statistics hold you back from trying this champion.
Currently, Mundo sits at a cool 50.7% winrate in platinum (and above) with a measly 1.6% pick rate. While his winrate might not seem bad, it is probably the consequence of the Meta being bot focused currently.
How Do You Play Full Tank Dr.Mundo In LoL?
If you are looking for a build for Mundo that will provide the best stats for the Meta, I’ve got you covered.
Best runes for Full Tank Mundo in LoL:
- Grasp of The Undying- Entering combat generates 1 stack every second for the next 3 seconds. Additional stacks may be generated by re-entering combat after 2 seconds. After reaching 4 stacks, your next basic attack on-hit within 6 seconds against an enemy champion consumes all stacks to deal 3.5% of your maximum health as bonus magic damage, heal for 1.7% of your maximum health, and permanently grant 5 bonus health. The empowered attack duration refreshes whenever going in combat.
- Demolish- You generate stacks every 0.5 seconds on enemy turrets within 600 units, up to 6 after 3 seconds. Your next basic attack against a turret with 6 stacks deals 100 (+ 35% of your maximum health) bonus physical damage. Great for taking towers since all tank champions lack base AD.
- Second Wind- After taking damage from an enemy champion, regenerate 3 (+ 4% of your missing health) health over 10 seconds.
- Overgrowth- Every 8 Monster icon.png monsters or enemy minions that die near you permanently grants you a stack, gaining 3 bonus health. This effect can stack any number of times.
After gaining 15 stacks (120 monsters or minions), you gain an additional 3.5% maximum health.
- Approach Velocity- Gain 7.5% bonus total movement speed toward visible and targetable enemy champions that are immobilized within 1000 range.
This bonus is doubled to 15% and does not have a range cap nor require vision toward enemy champions whose movement you impaired when they were visible.
This applies every time you hit someone with your Q, meaning you can chase them down via them being slowed and you being faster.
- Magical Footwear- After 12 minutes (reduced by 45 seconds whenever scoring a takedown against an enemy champion), you gain Slightly Magical Boots (an extra 10 movement speed compared to the ones available in the shop) for free.
For bonuses, go AS, and double Armour/MR depending on the matchup
Best item build for Full Tank Mundo in LoL:
- Frostfire Gauntlet- Offers an additional slow for when you are chasing down your enemies and maximum health as a mythic passive which is always of value to your healing from R.
- Plated Steelcaps- Good resistance versus most AD champions who auto-attack.
- Thornmail- Offers healing reduction at a time in the meta where everyone has built-in sustain in their kits, as well as extra armor and a passive that allows for more damage output when someone Autoattacks you
- Spirit Visage- Steroid to your healing and any external shielding you may receive, as well as a source of magic resist
- Titanic Hydra- A very reliable source for AD by building full health other than this item
- Warmog’s Armour / Randiun’s Omen / Force of Nature- A really big pool of regeneratable health / More armor, very good against fed ADC champions / Take this if the enemy has more magic damage than physical.
Other than these items though, Mundo can also build Sunfire Aegis, Turbo Chemtank, Frozen Heart, Abyssal Mask, and Anathema’s Chains.
What Lane is Dr.Mundo?
Dr.Mundo is primarily a Toplaner, and secondarily a jungler. These days, he isn’t played much in either role but in the months after he was released, he saw good pick rates in both jungle and top. This build can work for both jungle and top so don’t be afraid to experiment because Mundo is one of the champions that you can effortlessly try out in both lanes.
That being said, I would still recommend trying him toplane before jungle, as the jungle clear on Mundo is not the best and probably takes time to learn efficiently.
Even though Dr.Mundo is not one of the staple horsemen of toplane, he is not as far gone as something like Kled for example. Mundo does have his strengths and weaknesses, and for some, the latter outweighs the former. For others though, they still carry on strong playing this champion in their ranked games, as should you.
I hope this article has gone a long way to help form an understanding of Mundo’s Kit and where his power lies. Let us know how your experience playing him goes if you decide to pick him up, along with any other thoughts or suggestions you may have in the comments section below. Till we meet again!