Alistar is one of the most popular classic support champions Riot Games has ever released. He was widely used in the earlier seasons of League of Legends thanks to his ability to peel ADC champion so hard.
Alistar is a minotaur and really looks like a tough champion which only makes sense why he is a tank support champion. If he is a tank champion, what stats does his ability sell into?
Also Check Out: Is Brand AP or AD?
Is Alistar AP or AD Champion?
Here is the answer:
Alistar is a Vanguard champion a class that determines a champion is made to stand in front of their entire team and take the damage. They are mostly the ones who initiate fights or keep enemies away from their carries. Alistar’s abilities scale purely on magic damage which means you can build AP items on him and increase his damage output.
But despite this fact, people don’t really like to build AP items on Alistar or even tank items on him when he is played as a support, this is because Alistar’s ultimate gives him a huge damage reduction which he can use every time he is in the middle of a team fight or tanking turret shots when tower diving.
Because of his ultimate, Alistar doesn’t really need to focus on building items that will make him even more durable, he should instead focus on building utility items that he can use to support his ADC.
Best Alistar Build
- Knight’s Vow
- Plated Steelcaps
- Frozen heart
- Imperial Mandate
- Zeke’s Convergence
Also Check Out: Is Blitzcrank AP or AD?
Best Runes for Alistar
- Aftershock – which is the best rune for tank frontline champions that initiate team fights, this will also synergize with his ultimate, giving him a huge damage reduction.
- Demolish – can be used whenever you are trying to play aggressively while keeping your enemies under their tower.
- Conditioning – Alistar’s value falls off starting at the mid game and that is why taking Conditioning will let him stay relevant until the late game.
- Overgrowth – Alistar lets out a healing roar every time a certain number of minions die around him and Overgrowth will greatly synergize with this.
- Biscuit Delivery – gives Alistar not only free potions but it also increases his mana pool.
- Timewarp tonic – this is like the rune that goes well with Bisquit Delivery
What Role Can I Play Alistar In?
Alistar is a support champion and cannot be played in any other lane unless you just want to play a goofy game. He is an extremely great asset when it comes to peeling carries and disengaging. There were earlier attempts back then to play him as a carry champion but it did not end well.
Where Does Alistar’s Value Come?
Alistar’s value comes during late-game team fights where he can use his flash and perform his combo to knock multiple enemies airborne. He can also reserve his spells until such time enemies try to reach his carries, both of Alistar’s abilities have great displacement effects.
Also Check Out: Is Amumu AP or AD?
Alistar is a very tanky champion that can improve the damage of his spells by building hybrid utility items. He has AP scaling but he really works much better if you build utility items on him and make him more durable, he is a peeling support and a frontliner.
I hope you enjoyed reading the article and learning about your main champion, if you are just new to the game and want to master Alistar, just follow these tips and you’ll have fun in no time.