When I first saw Gwen, I thought of her as a champion with AD scaling like Xin Zhao because her kit relies on melee attacks and physical-looking abilities. She has an ability that let’s her snip her scissors at a very high speed. She also has a spell that lets her dash and gives her bonus attack range and attack speed, making me think of her as a bruiser champion.
Gwen is Riot’s one of the latest addition to “Balanced” champions; her kit revolves around actual damage and so many instances of attacks that it looks like burst damage.
Also Check Out: Is Gnar AP or AD?
Is Gwen AP or AD Champion?
Here is the answer:
Gwen is an AP champion that scales well with ability power; she can also deal actual damage with her abilities, given that you build the right items on her. IT doesn’t matter if you are a tank champion or a bruiser with lots of healing; she can still cut you down no matter what item you build. She is a great skirmisher because of all of her healing abilities. Here are the best items that you can build on her.
The Best Item Builds on Gwen
- Riftmaker – It’s like this item is made for Gwen; the real damage that this item adds to his ultimate and Q is ridiculous; it can destroy tank champions and even bruisers with great sustain. Riftmaker also improves her healing as it gives her bonus Omnivamp.
- Nashor’s Tooth – Gwen relies on her basic attacks when trading with her enemies; this item is an excellent buy for her because of the bonus attack speed it gives her. The bonus AP also improves her basic attack’s damage, and the unique passive of this item that gives her additional on-hit damage is also a must.
- Cosmic Drive – Gwen has a dash to use for closing the gap between her and an enemy, but the extra ability haste she gains with this item is a staple for her combos.
- Morellonomicon – while this is a great counter item against Gwen, it is also a great item to build for herself. Gwen is a late-game champion that excels at extended fights; negating the heals of the enemy is the key in extended fights.
- Zhonya’s Hourglass – Gwen can be untargetable, and Zhonya’s Hourglass improves that self-peeling ability.
- Sorcerer’s Shoes – This is a great item to build, especially if there are tanks.
Also Check Out: Is Gangplank AP or AD?
Best Runes on Gwen
- Conqueror – Speaking of extended fights, Conqueror is just the item for it. Some heroes run Electrocute, but its only value is seen during the start of the fight. The damage is instantaneous, while Conqueror’s effects last as long as the user damages their enemy. This will also improve Gwen’s healing.
- Sudden Impact – is triggered every time Gwen uses her dash.
- Legend: Alacrity – is a staple rune for Gwen because she relies on her basic attacks more than her abilities.
- Cut down – the only rune you need to deal with tanks.
Champions That Counter Gwen
Champions That Gwen Counters
- Tahm Kench
Also Check Out: Is Garen AP or AD?
When Should You Pick Gwen?
If there are many tank champions in the opposing team, she is an excellent pick as she can deal with them. Tank champions don’t have burst abilities, and her actual damage can easily cut them,wn especially if she has a rune cut-down.
Though you should avoid picking her if the enemy laner you are facing has gap closers or dashes, champions like Riven and Shen can easily lock Gwen down and burst her down or chip away at her HP bar with small trades.
Gwen is a grand AP champion with ranged melee attacks; her kit revolves around her basic attacks. The more she hits an enemy with her basic attacks, the more snips she can do with her Q and reset her ultimate’s cooldown.