The size of a champion in League of Legends refers to the radius of their gameplay model in the game. It does not refer specifically to the visual model, but the interactive hitbox of the champion in the game. Every object in League of Legends has a defined size, but our main concern is the size of champions and how to alter it.
Malphite and Zac can change their size based on their total armor and bonus health respectively. Some champions have ultimates that increase their size for the duration. Gargoyle’s Stoneplate, Elixir of Iron, and Frostfire Gauntlet increase champion size when bought. Cho’Gath can have the biggest size in the game because of his permanent ultimate stacks.
Changing the size of your champion can have both positive and negative effects. The items you build will depend on how large you want your hitbox to be. Champion size affects certain abilities, while not affecting the rest.
List Of Champion Sizes
|172||Cho’Gath (Maximum Feast+Elixir of Iron)|
|160||Cho’Gath (Maximum Feast)|
|130||Sylas (Maximum Feast)|
|108||Malphite (437.5 Armor+), Volibear (Stormbringer), Zac (100% HP, 2333.33 Health)|
|104||Nasus (Fury of the Sands)|
|91||Lulu (Wild Growth)|
|87.754||Malphite (Base Armor, Level 18)|
|82.368||Malphite (Base Armor, Level 1)|
|80||Alistar, Bard, Blitzcrank, Braum, Cho’Gath, Darius, Dr. Mundo, Galio, Gragas, Hecarim, Malphite, Maokai, Mordekaiser, Nasus, Nautilus, Ornn, Renekton, Rumble, Sejuani, Sion, Skarner, Tahm Kench, Urgot, Volibear, Yorick, Zac|
|65||Aatrox, Ahri, Akali, Akshan, Anivia, Aphelios, Ashe, Aurelion Sol, Azir, Bel’Veth, Brand, Caitlyn, Camille, Cassiopeia, Corki, Diana, Draven, Ekko, Elise, Evelynn, Ezreal, Fiddlesticks, Fiora, Gangplank, Garen, Gnar, Graves, Gwen, Illaoi, Irelia, Janna, Jarvan IV, Jax, Jayce, Jhin, Jinx, Kai’Sa, Kalista, Karma, Karthus, Kassadin, Katarina, Kayle, Kayn, Kha’Zix, Kindred, Kled, Kled & Skaarl, Kog’Maw, LeBlanc, Lee Sin,Leona, Lillia, Lissandra, Lucian, Lulu, Lux, Malzahar, Master Yi, Mega Gnar, Miss Fortune, Morgana, Nami, Neeko, Nidalee, Nilah, Nocturne, Nunu & Willump, Olaf, Orianna, Pantheon, Pyke, Qiyana, Quinn, Rakan, Rammus, Rek’Sai, Rell, Renata Glasc, Rengar, Riven, Ryze, Samira, Senna, Seraphine, Sett, Shaco, Shen, Shyvana, Singed, Sivir, Sona, Soraka, Swain, Sylas, Syndra, Taliyah, Talon, Taric, Thresh, Trundle, Tryndamere, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Udyr, Varus, Vayne, Vel’Koz, Vex, Vi, Viego, Viktor, Vladimir, Wukong, Xayah, Xerath, Xin Zhao, Yasuo,Yone,Yuumi,Zed,Zeri, Zilean, Zoe, Zyra|
|56||Zac (0% Health)|
|55||Amumu, Annie, Fizz, Heimerdinger, Kennen, Poppy, Teemo, Tristana, Veigar, Warwick, Ziggs|
Champions That Can Change Size
Currently, there are only two champions in the game that can vary their size without actually using any ability/item actives. These include Zac and Malphite.
Malphite’s Passive, Granite Shield, alters his size based on his current Armor. Malphite gains an increased percentage size based on 8% of his total Armor. This is capped at 35% increased size at 437.5 Armor.
Zac’s Passive, Cell Division, changes his size based on his health. Zac gains an increased percentage size based on 1.5% of his bonus Health. This is capped at 35% increased size at 2333.33 bonus Health. Additionally, Zac’s size reduces based on his missing health. This is capped at a 30% decreased total size at 0% Health.
Abilities That Increase Size
Some abilities in the game can increase the size of your champion. All of these abilities are ultimate abilities except Zyra’s hidden passive.
- Aatrox’s World Ender: Aatrox unleashes his true demonic form, gaining increased healing, movement speed, and size for the duration. (5% increase)
- Cho’Gath’s Feast: Cho’Gath executes a target using his ultimate, gaining a stack. He can stack it indefinitely. Each stack provides bonus Health (not capped) and increased size (capped). (6/8/10% increase per stack, 100% maximum)
- Kayle’s Divine Ascent: When Kayle hits Level 11, Aflame, her size increases by 10% over a 1 second duration. (10% increase)
- Lulu’s Wild Growth: Lulu instantly enchants an allied target (or herself), providing bonus Health, increasing their size, and knocking up enemies in a short radius. (40% increase)
- Mordekaiser’s Realm of Death: Once Mordekaiser finishes the channel, he steals a small amount of AD, AP, Attack Speed, Maximum Health, Armor, Magic Resist, and Size from his target. (10% increase)
- Nasus’ Fury of the Sands: Nasus gains a burst of bonus Health, Armor, and Magic Resist, and increases his size and attack range for the duration. He also decreases the cooldown of his Q. (30% increase)
- Olaf’s Ragnarok: Olaf becomes immune to CC, gains increased size, movement speed, and attack damage as long as he continues to hit an enemy champion with basic attacks or E. (10% increase)
- Renata Glasc’s Hostile Takeover: Any targets hit by the Hostile Takeover gain increased size, bonus attack speed, and target their own allies. (25% increase)
- Renekton’s Dominus: Renekton empowers himself to gain bonus Health, Fury, Attack Range, and an increased radius on his Q. (20% increase)
- Shyvana’s Dragon’s Descent: Shyvana turns into a dragon, leaping in a direction and dealing magic damage to her targets. She also gains bonus Health, Attack Range, and size. (0/8.5/16% increase)
- Trundle’s Subjugate: Trundle deals magic damage to his target, stealing their maximum health, armor, magic resist, and size. (18% increase)
- Volibear’s Stormbringer: Volibear leaps a short distance, dealing physical damage to the targets he lands on. He gains increased size, bonus health, attack range, and ghosting. (35% increase)
- Zyra’s Hidden Passive: Zyra grows by 10% when under the effect of Leona’s Sunlight passive.
Out of these, only ChoGath’s Feast is a permanent increase in size, allowing him to have a bigger size than any other champion in the game simply based on the default champion kits.
Items That Increase Size
The following items increase the size of champions without actually altering the attack range of said champions. Out of these, only Frostfire Gauntlet provides permanent increase in size (as long as you have enough legendary items to benefit from the mythic passive).
- Gargoyle’s Stoneplate (Grants 25% Increase in size)
- Elixir of Iron (Grants 15% increase in size)
- Frostfire Gauntlet (Grants 6% increase in size per legendary item, for a total of 30% increase at 5 legendary items).
Benefits Of Increased Size
Increasing your champion’s size has many pros and cons. The biggest con would only apply to champions that want to stay away from the frontline. Carry champions or squishy champions dislike large hitboxes because it is much harder to dodge skillshots. But what about the benefits of an increased size?
There are various benefits of an increased hitbox, and how much value you get out of it depends on the champion you are playing. Here is a short overview of the benefits provided by an increased champion size:
- For frontline champions, the increased size allows you to block skillshots for your teammates. This prevents them from getting poked out and gives them more security to perform their job.
- An increase in size also increases the range of basic attacks. Remember that an increase in size does not increase the “range” stat in the game, but makes it much easier to hit your target from further away.
- Bami’s Cinder and items that build out of Bami’s Cinder benefit from an increase in size as the aura of these items increases with the increase in the size of a champion.
- Some abilities benefit from increased size, such as Tahm Kench’s Tongue Lash. Tongue Lash’s range and speed increase based on Tahm Kench’s bonus size. Cho’Gath is a champion designed based on increasing size, so his E and R range increase based on his increased size.
Largest Possible Size
As you may have guessed from the Champions list, only ChoGath has the ability to increase his size by a large amount permanently. Thus, the largest size that can be achieved in a normal League of Legends game is by ChoGath. Here are the requirements for it to take place:
- Cho’Gath has a base size of 80 points (radius)
- Cho’Gath can gain a total of 100% increase in size from his ultimate, Feast.
- Building Frostfire Gauntlet and 5 Legendary items allows you to achieve 30% increased size from the mythic passive. Keep in mind your boots do not count towards the mythic passive.
- Gargoyle’s Stoneplate offers a 25% increase in size upon activation.
- Elixir of Iron grants 15% increase in size for as long as it is active.
- Finally, Lulu’s ultimate (Wild Growth) offers a 40% increase in size, adding the cherry on top of this entire setup.
This puts Cho’Gath’s size at 310% total of the base size. This is equivalent to 248 units in the game, the largest size possible in any practical game.
Champions that have increased size built into their kit are usually designed to be built as tanks. Their increased size allows them to block skillshots for their teammates and absorb the majority of the damage. Increased size can also have drawbacks depending on the champion you are playing. You must keep the pros and cons in mind when buying items that alter your gameplay radius.