Chogath is a champion who scales hard as a tank when he reaches level 6. He can stack on HP with his ultimate every time he executes an enemy using his ultimate. Cho’gath also grows in size depending on how much stack he has on his ultimate. This is great for Cho’gath as he can build purely defensive items like Spirit’s visage or Thornmail.
Also Check Out: Is Cassiopeia AP or AD?
Is Cho’Gath AP or AD Champion?
Here is the answer:
Cho’Gath is a hybrid HP and AP scaling champion as his stats are improved by either of the two. Cho’Gath’s damaging abilities scale on ability power, from his Q to his ultimate damage, depending on how high his ability power is. His Q also has a 100% AP scaling, which can be an excellent nuke ability if you build pure AP items on him. You can do multiple builds on Cho’Gath, but we will only focus on Tank, and AP builds. Here are two of Cho’Gath’s possible builds.
Best Item Build for Cho’Gath
- Spirit’s Visage – improves the heal he gets from his passive ability and gives him a massive boost in magic resist making it easy for him to mitigate the burst damage of mages.
- Frostfire Gauntlet – This will be Cho’s mythic item as he is a slow champion that relies on his spells to catch up to the enemy; having the slow effect will be great for him, and it’s mythic passive will also increase his size.
- Thornmail – Chogath is a frontline meaning most champions will be focusing their basic attacks on him before a team fight erupts. Having this item will inflict Grievous wounds on enemies before the team fight even starts.
- Force of Nature is also an excellent item for front-liners as reaching six stacks gives the champion a 25% damage reduction.
- Frozen Heart – gives Cho’Gath a huge mana pool and gives him a massive boost of 80 armor. The Rock Solid passive also makes him tanky against basic attacks.
- Plated Steelcaps – A staple item that lets you perform early game tower dives.
- Luden’s Tempest
- Rabbadon’s Deathcap
- Sorcerer’s Boots
- Void Staff
- Demonic Embrace
- Nashor’s Tooth
Also Check Out: Is Camille AP or AD?
Best Runes for Cho’Gath
- Grasp of the undying
- Legend: Tenacity
When Should You Pick Cho’Gath?
If there are no late-game champions in the enemy team, you can easily pick Cho’Gath and build total AP items. Play passively and wait for the enemy team’s value to fall off so they won’t be able to handle you during the late game. If there are no hard carry champions like Vayne or Kaisa in the opposing team, feel free to build full tank items and be the wall for your team during the late games.
His size will also intimidate enemy champions, especially when you have high defensive stats; if they see that their damage doesn’t take away much of your HP, enemies will lose hope of killing you and even make them surrender.
Cho’Gath scales with both AP and HP. His tankiness and ultimate damage depend on how high his AP and HP are, but most of his basic abilities depend purely on his ability power. You can build hybrid items on him, which means tank and AP items synergize with his playstyle abilities.