A Config file is the backbone of any competitive game. It can be used to save all of the customizations you do in your settings and every personal preference you have is secured by it. In League of Legends, Config files can be used to change the way the game handles various UI elements and hotkey information
League of Legends config files can be found by navigating to the folder where League of Legends is installed. From here, open the ‘Config’ folder. All the different config files are placed inside this folder and can be deleted to reset configurations or copied to another location to save them.
While most games strictly warn the player to not manually open the config file and change settings, League of Legends is a special case. Config files in League of Legends can allow you to do some changes that you otherwise would not be able to achieve through settings in the game. Let us take a look at where to find these files and how to edit them.
What Is A Config File
Config is short for configuration. A config file contains the various configurations you have made in the game. This could range from simple video settings to detailed keybindings. All of these settings that you configure for your personal use are stored in config files. If there were no config files, you would have to customize the settings every time you started the game.
Config files are extremely important when it comes to competitive games because every player has a different approach to the game and the way they prefer to execute various things. In order to increase ease and comfort, players tend to change settings according to their personal preferences and all of these are stored in the config file so they can be read.
Importance Of League Config Files
League of Legends uses a server sided system to store all your account information and progress. This means that any champion that you have unlocked, any skin you own, and any other element assigned to your account is assigned on the server’s side.
However, there are some things that are kept on the client’s side. These include Item Sets, Video Settings, Hotkey settings, and various other configurations relating to in-game settings. This means that settings can be changed using these files and will be lost if this file is lost.
Purpose Of Config Files
There are various config files in the Config folder of League of Legends. Each of them performs a separate job. We will go over the common ones here.
- json: “The settings in this file are persisted server-side. This file is generated automatically. Editing it is not recommended.”
- json: “Modify SettingsToPersist.json to specify which settings are persisted.”
- yaml: These most likely contain your rune page names and settings.
- cfg: It contains the game settings like mousespeed, volume etc.
- ini: This file contains all of the hotkey or keybind settings that you have changed and are no longer set to default.
- json: This file contains any ItemSets that you have downloaded or made yourself inside the game.
Location Of Config Files
Locating the config files in League of Legends is extremely simple.
- Navigate to the location where League of Legends is installed.
- By default, this location is C:\Riot Games\League of Legends.
- Now open the Config file
- The various config files used by League of Legends are present here.
Changing Settings Through Config File
You can edit the relevant config files and change the settings to fit your needs. This is a faster method than changing individual settings from the game client if you plan to make bulk changes and know what you are doing.
You should only and only do this when you have a clear idea of what you are trying to achieve and you are confident that you won’t mess things up. Riot Games allows setting changes as long as it remains within the limits allowed by the in-game settings. If you try to change things like Map Size and Zoom In settings beyond the limits, you are putting yourself at risk of getting banned.
Sometimes, an issue with the configuration file might be causing issues on your end. Whatever the reason may be, you might be looking for a way to completely reset your configurations in League of Legends. The simplest way to do so is by following the steps below:
- Launch League of Legends and log into your account.
- Now navigate to your League of Legends installation folder (C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\ by default)
- Now delete the ‘Config’ folder.
- Now return to your League of Legends client and launch a custom game.
- This will generate a new config folder.
As we have already pointed out, changing configuration files manually is discouraged by most games. In the case of League of Legends, as long as you are changing settings that are within the limits allowed by Riot Games, you will not be in any trouble. If you plan to cheat the system and bypass boundaries, please do so at your own risk.